Friday, May 24, 2013

Bitter thoughts and pregnancy hormones.

I should have known that today was not going to be easy. It all started last night. My head hit my pillow at 11pm. I didn't go to sleep until 2:30. Those 2 hrs of sleep were blissful. I was awakened by my dear husbands alarm at 4:30. A apparently he had some project at work and needed to be in by six. I tried to fall back to sleep it wasn't happening. Between Sam making big as your face egg and jalapeƱo breakfast burritos and him tripping one of Mallory's toys the distraction was too great. When he left around 5:40 I finally went back to sleep. Let me preface this by saying that these are my inner most thoughts. I am normally not this grumpy and I am more than happy to be an active participant of life throughput the day. The following is a timeline of my every annoyance and follow-up thoughts throughout the day.

7:00 am-  Mallory wakes up. I lay in bed and pretend like I don't hear her chatting away with her stuffed animals and throwing shoes, blankets, and whatever else onto and into the middle of her floor. I ask God a WHY is my lovely child who sleeps until eight or eight thirty every day up and ready to go now. I sleepily stumble into the kitchen and pour her a glass of milk. I walk into her room, scoop her up, and carry her into my room with me while simultaneously praying to God that she will fall back to sleep.
7:30 am- Mal Pal is getting tired of laying in bed silence. I turn on PBS and fix her a comfy little nest in my bed hoping she will sit there and be silently entertained for 30 minutes...okay really 2 hrs. No dice.
7:35 am- Mal Mal taps on my head and yells "AWAKE!"  She giggles and then says, "I want breakfast". I sigh and question what I did in a former life that God is punishing me for. Then I remember that I don't believe in reincarnation and that high school wasn't that long ago. This must be part of that pay back my mom, dad, and my teachers talked about as I was growing up. I silently cursed them all for being so smug as I pictured knowing grins and satisfaction on all of their faces.
7:40 am- I begin making Mallory toast with peanut butter and bananas and am stopped dead in my tracks when I hear a blood-curdling "noooooo". I stop in My tracks to see who was dying. No one. Alright, "what's wrong Mallory", I asked. "No toast" she replied. I sighed an over exaggerated sigh and asked what she wanted. Here's what she said "eggs, strawberries, nanas, ray rays (raisins)" I oblige and she returns my efforts with a polite "thank you".
7:45 am- I turn on the tv to let Mallory watch whatever is on that looks age appropriate. I think it was Curious George, however I am unsure because I am too sleepy to decipher words or pictures right now. If I close my eyes perhaps it will all get better.
8:00 am- I'm startled by dog whines and pawing at the door I guess I forgot to feed and let them out.
8:15 am- Mallory comes to snuggle with me. I was about to doze off when tiny kicks start to flutter internally. A sweet reminder that life is about to get better. And more tiring.
8:30 am- I guess I dozed off because I wake to a loud bounce then feel all 20 lbs of my baby girl land right on my belly. I panic for a second then feel response from my smallest child who is just being prepared for love and fun from its big sister. I explain to Mallory the importance of not jumping on baby. She smiles and rubs my tummy, kisses it, and then lovingly says "baby". She promptly hops off and begins making a bee-line for the potty.  She's yelling "I poooooopppp" along the way. I spring into action and meet her there. I'm questioning my logic for making her wear a footed onsie that is just a tad too small ( it has snowmen on it too, it's also a humid 84 currently but whatever)  However the fear or cleaning poo pants is too great today. I help literally rip the stupid onsie off of her just in the nick of time.
8:35 am- I ask Mal what she wants to do today and she answers with swim kick play. Fantastic, she wants to be a productive member of society. I scold myself for dreading a day that is about to be so fun and pray that God gives me a way to find a way out of my clouded attitude.
9:00 am- I load Mallory up to go to the grocery store because apparently she and Sam expect to be fed on a daily basis.
9:05 am- I pull into Kroger and immediately get cut of by a large ethnic man who parks in the only preggo parking spot. I consider shooting him the bird, while honking my horn and yelling obscenities. Then I remember my study on James, specifically about taming my tongue. I also remember the tiny pair of blue eyes that is watching me and soaking up my every movement, so I make a conscious decision to smile, wave, and forgive the man for taking a parking spot that had clearly been designated for Jill Craig. I'm pretty sure I saw my name on it somewhere.
9:45 am- I'm ready to check out.  I head for aisle five. An elderly lady cuts me off and cuts in front of me. I consider strangling her with one of the strings from the helium balloons that is tied onto the kiosk. My plans are curtailed by my outgoing daughter who smiles and waves hi to her. She commented on what a lovely daughter I had. Fine lady, you get to live another day.
10:00 am- Mallory and I are unloading groceries and she asks to color. I give her some markers (part of her Easter basket from my MIL, her Grammie) and paper. When I'm done putting up groceries I walk in to discover her drawing green circles, and green triangles on the wall. The child is satisfied. She's repeating each shapes name as she successfully draws it. I curse my MIL for giving her markers and then remember I'm the idiot that handed her the marker. I pray a silent pray for God to forgive me. I vigorously begin cleaning the walls and asking Mallory to help. Thankfully she obliges. I decide I'm done for the day and then realize its only 10:15. I am so not done for the day. Shoot.
10:30 am- I'm rounding up my dogs and child to go on a walk and stub my big toe on the sofa. Pain shoots up my body. I almost drop an f-bomb but catch myself and yell Fudgsicles instead. Mallory looks at me and questions this new word I've introduced. I explain its like a chocolate Popsicle. She begins asking repeatedly for "chocate". I can't give her any because there's none in the house. She throws a tantrum complete with kicking feet while laying on the floor. I take this opportunity to empty my bladder for the twelve thousandth time in 3 hours. We walk to the nearby park and Mallory happily plays for an hour while I watch and try to do some school work. I open up my assignments tab and decide this can wait for later. I happily slide with my little girl.


From there on out our day turned up. Mainly because I decided to enjoy the day that God gave me instead of letting it be clouded with my exhaustion and raging preggo hormones. In a way this day was preparation of what's to come as I haven't gone off three hours of sleep in well over a year ( and I'm not sure how I did it so frequently in college and early adulthood). Of course my guilt overcame me towards the end of the day and I rewarded Mal Mal with a trip to Target to pick out toys for our beach trip to come...and of course Fudgsicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment